Building Bi-Coastal Luxury Apartment Homes
Johnson Development Associates (JDA) is a leading owner and developer of luxury apartment homes across the country.
Founded in 1996, JDA’s Multifamily Division has created over 6,500 apartment homes spanning both coasts, with a rapidly expanding footprint. Well-capitalized and privately-held, JDA is poised to move rapidly as it pursues a streamlined and disciplined approach to site selection and development of top-of-market multifamily communities in dynamic markets. JDA continues to build and be recognized for award-winning, sustainable, stylish, and comfortable multifamily properties.
Entrepreneurial Nimbleness, Institutional Stability
JDA pairs the nimbleness of an entrepreneurial development company with the stability of institutional grade capital.
We invest solely for the Johnson family. We do not accept outside investors nor raise money for individual projects. The Johnson family is committed to maintaining liquidity in order to support a robust pipeline and understands that the firm is only as strong as its reputation for honoring its commitments.
Our ability to execute on opportunities is not hindered by a protracted investment committee process. Our development team is empowered with the authority to make decisions in real time when necessary. In business, the passage of time is a common enemy; we will not waste a prospective seller's time or ours.
JDA combines qualitative measures with disciplined financial analysis to select sites. A site is first evaluated from the perspective of a resident. We pair a dynamic location with a product with which we have proven experience, and in doing so, create a unique selling proposition.
Creating Community With Seamless Execution
As experts in the multifamily development process, we deliver solid, seamless execution with every community we attach to the JDA brand. To ensure the best possible outcome in execution of our development plans and fulfillment of all our commitments, we remain responsive and empowered to make investment decisions quickly, providing “certainty of execution” for land owners and stakeholders.
EVALUATING OUR ACQUISITIONS
- Targets: Value-add, existing apartment product. Attractive opportunities will require substantial capital investment and repositioning. Existing apartment projects which include surplus land providing expansion opportunities are ideal.
- Markets: Primary target geographies include major bi-coastal MSAs such as San Francisco, Los Angeles, Washington, DC, Miami, Seattle, Portland, and Philadelphia. JDA Multifamily will acquire assets in primary, secondary, and tertiary submarkets with attractive supply and demand characteristics.
- Size: Optimal assets will consist of 150-350 units. JDA Multifamily will evaluate assets ranging from 75-500 units.
DETERMINING OUR DEVELOPMENTS
- Targets: Fee-simple land (unentitled, partially entitled, or fully entitled). Land approved for apartment development is preferred, but mixed-use projects are also attractive.
- Markets: Primary target geographies include major bi-coastal MSAs such as San Francisco, Los Angeles, Washington, DC, Miami, Seattle, Portland, and Philadelphia. JDA will acquire sites in primary, secondary, and tertiary submarkets with attractive supply and demand characteristics.
- Size: Optimal sites will be capable of supporting 150-350 units. JDA will evaluate sites with opportunities for development ranging from 75-500 units.