Director of Construction, Multifamily Division
Submit Your Resume
Johnson Development Associates, Inc. (JDA) is a fast-paced, entrepreneurial, multi-division national real estate developer that is committed to delivering excellence. We are driven by our Guiding Principles of integrity, partnership, humility, principled entrepreneurship, initiative, and fulfillment, and we believe the key to our continued success and growth is our ability to identify, hire, onboard and develop highly talented people.
JDA is currently searching for a full-time Director of Construction for the Multifamily Division in Spartanburg, SC. A description of the position and requirements are listed below. Qualified candidates should email their resume to HR@johnsondevelopment.net.
The Director of Construction (“the Position”) will report to the President of the Multifamily Division and will be responsible for the entitlement and construction execution of the Company’s development pipeline. The Director will proactively manage the vetting and selection of trade partners, entitlement, budgeting, permitting, preconstruction, bidding, and contract negotiations of the team. Serving as the leader of the development vertical, the Director will provide guidance and direction to the development team and will collaborate with a cross-functional internal team including business partners from our real estate management group, asset management and third-party property management, as well as external partners including project consultants, engineers, architects, general contractors, municipal building, utilities, and land-use officials.
This senior leadership position is in-person at JDA’s corporate headquarters in Spartanburg, SC. Travel outside the local area is required for this position and will include overnight trips.
Position Responsibilities - Essential Functions:
- Strategic Planning:
- Oversee all aspects of development and construction for the Multifamily Division.
- Consult on the entitlement viability and planning of early-stage development business plans.
- Oversee the review of due diligence materials and findings presented by the Multifamily team.
- Vendor and Stakeholder Management:
- Develop and maintain relationships with a pool of active and qualified general contractors for current and future markets.
- Oversee the selection of trade partner design and preconstruction services team and initiate and foster a collaborative effort between them to achieve a project design and scope that meets the underwriting criteria for each new deal.
- Direct the preparation of bid proposal requests, evaluate responses, and negotiate partner contracts.
- Project Management:
- Monitor material and labor costs while continuing to work on the development of design and construction alternatives to ensure that projects maintain quality at the lowest cost.
- Ensure all development projects comply with local building codes and regulations.
- Regularly hold meetings with direct reports and JDA contractors to track project performance and take corrective action as needed to maintain cost and schedule expectations.
- Manage risk and identify potential issues that may impact project timelines or budgets.
- Consult on construction budgeting and unforeseen challenges, while delivering creative cost saving solutions.
- Accountable for the budgeting and underwriting of new investment opportunities.
- Collaborate with the regional development teams, ensuring optimal layouts and achievable proformas.
- Develop and maintain relationships with key stakeholders including investors, lenders, and government officials.
- Team Leadership:
- Oversee the Multifamily development team in alignment with JDA’s Guiding Principles.
- Recruit, identify, and develop new team members to meet division strategic goals and needs.
Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Construction Management, Engineering, Architecture or related field required.
- Master’s degree in relevant focus preferred: Architecture, Engineering, MBA, Construction Management or Services, Law.
- 10 + years’ experience working in real estate development, construction services, or management.
- At least five years of complex development or vertical construction experience, multifamily experience preferred.
- Proficient understanding of building and site development/infrastructure plans.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills as well as strong interpersonal skills.
- Must be driven, passionate about development and construction with a strong work ethic.
- Strong attention to detail and organization; takes ownership of work product.
- Excellent quantitative and analytical skills; ability to understand, interpret and analyze information.
- Excellent people skills with ability to work effectively with leadership team and other levels within the company.
- Experience leading a team of development or construction staff on complex projects in multiple locations.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
The Company is committed to diversity and equal opportunity employment. The Company does not discriminate on the basis of race, creed, color, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy (including medical needs due to pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, military obligations, citizenship status (except as otherwise provided for by applicable law) or marital status and any other category protected by applicable law. This policy applies to all areas of employment, including employment status and opportunities such as hiring, internal promotions, training, opportunities for advancement, and termination and applies to all Company employees and applicants. If you are an individual with a disability and you need an accommodation or other assistance during the application process, please call our Human Resources department at 864.594.5862.
The Company has reviewed this job description to ensure that essential functions and basic duties have been included. It is intended to provide guidelines for job expectations and the employee's ability to perform the position described. It is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all functions, responsibilities, skills, and abilities nor is it a contract of employment. Additional functions and requirements may be assigned by supervisors as deemed appropriate.
Submit Your Resume