Development Manager, Self-Storage Division
Submit Your Resume
The Self-Storage Division of Johnson Development Associates, Inc. (JDA) is seeking a Development Manager (“the Position”) to be based in Spartanburg, South Carolina. The Position reports to the Director of Development for the Self-Storage Division and will be responsible for executing on the Company’s pipeline of development opportunities. Day-to-day responsibilities include consultant team management, coordinating project design, procuring entitlements and permitting, budget forecasting, bid administration, contract negotiations, construction management, and project delivery. Additionally, the Development Manager will assist and support the Real Estate Manager in their efforts to acquire new development opportunities.
The Position will be based in Spartanburg, South Carolina and will require travel and some overnight trips.
- Lead teams of consultants and contractors to implement JDA’s regional capital deployment goals and objectives.
- Plan internal and external resources as required to coordinate and monitor every facet of the development process for assigned projects, including:
- Assist Real Estate Managers in evaluating land acquisitions
- Hire and manage design professionals and consultants
- Lead project entitlement process from site acquisition through project permitting
- Engage appropriate service providers and/or consultants to provide conceptual and pre-construction estimating for all aspects of development
- Oversee the preparation of construction schedules and budgets
- Manage procurement of project permits and approvals
- Regulate on-site inspections of progress & quality
- Manage contractors to ensure timely, on budget delivery
- Review due diligence materials and present findings to Management on viability of sites for development.
- Assist in preparing the deal financial and feasibility analysis for projects.
- Manage the pre-construction and construction process including but not limited to preparation of estimates, plans and specifications, permitting, bidding and finalizing construction contracts within established parameters under the general supervision of the Senior Development Manager and Regional Director.
- Provide regular project reports internally and to project investor, partners and 3rd operator.
- Assist in developing site plans that deliver the best-in-class product consistent with the market demands while achieving the investment assumptions approved in the underwriting process.
- Manage any legal issues to ensure that the proper agreements are executed for each company performing services or construction on each development.
- Monitor trends in the local construction market including pricing and availability of materials and labor.
- Research design and construction alternatives and value engineering opportunities that will enhance new developments without compromising functionality or life cycle costs.
- Interface with various public agencies and develop working relationships.
- Understand & convey the inherent risks associated with a particular project.
This description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by an employee within this position. The actual duties, responsibilities, and qualifications may vary based on assignment and needs of JDA.
Essential Skills and Experience
- 2+ years of experience working in an engineering, construction or real estate-related field
- Bachelor's Degree, Master’s Degree or Graduate Degree
- High degree of proficiency in MS Office Suite (Word, PowerPoint, Excel)
- Detail-oriented and organized
- Ability to prioritize and accomplish multiple tasks effectively
- Represent Johnson Development Associates, Inc. in a positive and professional manner
- Maintain a high regard of confidentiality for company information
- Exceptional written and verbal skills
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial work environment
- Work and manage a team well under pressure
- Proficient organizational skill set; documenting and maintaining notes from correspondence and meetings and cataloging them for easy retrieval
Equal Employment Opportunity
The Company is committed to diversity and equal opportunity employment. The Company does not discriminate on the basis of race, creed, color, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy (including medical needs due to pregnancy, child birth or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, military obligations, or marital status. This policy applies to all areas of employment, including employment status and opportunities such as hiring, internal promotions, training, opportunities for advancement, and termination and applies to all Company employees and applicants.
Submit Your Resume