Development Manager, Self-Storage Division, El Segundo, CA
Submit Your Resume
The Self-Storage Division of Johnson Development Associates, Inc. (JDA) is seeking a Development Manager to be based in El Segundo, California. The position reports to the Senior Development Manager of the Self-Storage Division and will be responsible for executing on the Company’s pipeline of development opportunities. Day-to-day responsibilities include consultant team management, coordinating project design, procuring entitlements and permitting, budget forecasting, bid administration, contract negotiations, construction management, and project delivery. Additionally, the Development Manager will assist and support the Real Estate Manager in their efforts to acquire new development opportunities. The position will require travel and some overnight trips. Below is a list of some of the additional responsibilities the position will entail.
Essential Position Responsibilities
- Lead teams of consultants and contractors to implement JDA’s regional capital deployment goals and objectives.
- Plan internal and external resources as required to coordinate and monitor every facet of the development process for assigned projects, including:
- Assist Real Estate Managers in evaluating land acquisitions
- Hire and manage design professionals and consultants
- Lead project entitlement process from site acquisition through project permitting
- Engage appropriate service providers and/or consultants to provide conceptual and pre-construction estimating for all aspects of development
- Oversee the preparation of construction schedules and budgets
- Manage procurement of project permits and approvals
- Regulate on-site inspections of progress & quality
- Manage contractors to insure timely, on budget delivery
- Review due diligence materials and present findings to Management on viability of sites for development.
- Assist in preparing the deal financial and feasibility analysis for projects.
- Manage the pre-construction and construction process including but not limited to preparation of estimates, plans and specifications, permitting, bidding and finalizing construction contracts within established parameters under the general supervision of the Senior Development Manager and Regional Director.
- Provide regular project reports internally and to project investor, partners and 3rd operator.
- Assist in developing site plans that deliver the best-in-class product consistent with the market demands while achieving the investment assumptions approved in the underwriting process.
- Manage any legal issues to ensure that the proper Agreements are executed for each company performing services or construction on each development.
- Monitor trends in the local construction market including pricing and availability of materials and labor.
- Research design and construction alternatives and value engineering opportunities that will enhance new developments without compromising functionality or life cycle costs.
- Interface with various public agencies and develop working relationships.
- Understand & convey the inherent risks associated with a particular project.
Essential Skills and Experience:
- 2+ years of experience working in an engineering, construction or real estate-related field
- Bachelor's Degree, Master’s Degree or Graduate Degree
- High degree of proficiency in MS Office Suite (Word, PowerPoint, Excel)
- Detail-oriented and organized
- Ability to prioritize and accomplish multiple tasks effectively
- Represent Johnson Development Associates, Inc. in a positive and professional manner
- Maintain a high regard of confidentiality for company information
- Exceptional written and verbal skills
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial work environment
- Work and manage a team well under pressure
- Proficient organizational skill set; documenting and maintaining notes from correspondence and meetings and cataloging them for easy retrieval
Equal Employment Opportunity
The Company is an equal opportunity employer. JDA is committed to the spirit and letter of all federal, state and local laws and regulations pertaining to equal opportunity that impacts all employees and others involved in Company operations. To this end, JDA does not discriminate against any individual with regard to individual’s gender (including sex stereotyping), color, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, pregnancy, ancestry, marital status, military or veteran status, physical or mental disability, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression, genetic characteristics, childbirth, breastfeeding needs, denial of family and medical care leave, medical condition or other legally protected status. Nor will it tolerate any form of harassment or retaliation based on the exercise of any rights individuals may have under federal, state or local law. This Policy extends to all terms, conditions and privileges of employment, covers employees and other individuals involved in Company operations, as well as those using JDA facilities.
The Company has reviewed this job description to ensure that essential functions and basic duties have been included. It is intended to provide guidelines for job expectations and the employee's ability to perform the position described. It is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all functions, responsibilities, skills and abilities. Additional functions and requirements may be assigned by supervisors as deemed appropriate. The actual duties, responsibilites, and qualifications may vary based on assignment and needs of JDA.
Submit Your Resume