Senior Development Manager in El Segundo, CA
Submit Your Resume
The Self-Storage Division of Johnson Development Associates (JDA) is developing Class A self-storage facilities in high-growth markets throughout the United States. The Division has developed or acquired 33 self-storage facilities since the early 1980s and in the past 18 months has built a development pipeline in excess of 50 new self-storage projects along the east coast. The Johnson family of companies has a long history of successful national rollouts. Below is a list of some of the companies the Johnson family has developed over the years:
- WJB Video (1987-1993): largest Blockbuster franchisee with more than 200 stores nationwide
- Extended Stay America (founded 1995 and sold 2004): developed 472 extended stay hotels nationwide
- Advance America: opened more than 2,250 branches nationwide
- OTO Development: national hotel platform specializing in developing select service hotels in high barrier to entry markets
- JDA’s Multifamily Division: founded in 1996, JDA’s Multifamily Division has created over 6,500 apartment homes spanning both coasts, with a rapidly expanding footprint
- JDA’s Industrial Division: developed and managed multiple standalone sites and 25 industrial parks consisting of approximately 20 million square feet of commercial space, and has partnered with over 130 clients in the process
- Pure Barre (acquired by Johnson sponsored WJ Partners in 2012): grew Pure Barre franchised locations from 110 in 2012 to more than of 350 in 2015, continuing both domestic and international expansion
The Self-Storage Division of Johnson Development Associates, Inc. (JDA) is seeking a Senior Development Manager (“the Position”) to be based in El Segundo, California. The Position reports to the Director of Development and will be responsible for executing on the Company’s pipeline of development opportunities as well as recruiting additional supporting managers. Day-to-day responsibilities include consultant team management, coordinating project design, procuring entitlements and permitting, budget forecasting, bid administration, contract negotiations, construction management, and project delivery. Additionally, the Senior Development Manager will assist and support the Real Estate Manager in their efforts to acquire new development opportunities. The Position will require travel and some overnight trips. Below is a list of some of the additional responsibilities.
- Lead teams of consultants, and contractors to implement the regional capital deployment goals and objectives of JDA.
- Plan internal and external resources as required to coordinate and monitor every facet of the development process in projects that are assigned, including:
- Assist Real Estate Managers in evaluating land acquisitions
- Hire and manage design professionals and consultants
- Lead project entitlement process from site acquisition through project permitting
- Engage appropriate service providers and/or consultants to provide conceptual and pre-construction estimating for all aspects of development
- Oversee the preparation of construction schedules and budgets
- Manage procurement of project permits and approvals
- Regulate on-site inspections of progress & quality
- Manage contractors to insure timely, on budget delivery
- Review due diligence materials and present findings to Management on viability of sites for development.
- Assist in preparing the deal financial and feasibility analysis for projects.
- Manage the pre-construction and construction process including but not limited to preparation of estimates, plans and specifications, permitting, bidding and finalizing construction contracts within established parameters under the general supervision of the Director of Development.
- Provide regular project reports internally and to project investor, partners and 3rd operator.
- Assist in developing site plans that deliver the best-in-class product consistent with the market demands while achieving the investment assumptions approved in the underwriting process.
- Manage any legal issues to ensure that the proper Agreements are executed for each company performing services or construction on each development.
- Monitor trends in the local construction market including pricing and availability of materials and labor.
- Research design and construction alternatives and value engineering opportunities that will enhance new developments without compromising functionality or life cycle costs.
- Interface with various public agencies and develop working relationships.
- Understand & convey the inherent risks associated with a particular project.
- Interview, hire, and manage qualified project managers to oversee development projects as needed to manage the volume of work.
Essential Skills and Experience
- 5+ years of experience working in real estate development or construction management
- Bachelor's Degree, Master’s Degree, or Graduate Degree
- High degree of proficiency in MS Office Suite (Word, PowerPoint, Excel)
- Detail-oriented and organized
- Ability to prioritize and accomplish multiple tasks effectively
- Represent Johnson Development Associates, Inc. in a positive and professional manner
- Maintain a high regard of confidentiality for company information
- Exceptional written and verbal skills
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial work environment
- Work and manage a team well under pressure
- Proficient organizational skill set; documenting and maintaining notes from correspondence and meetings and cataloging them for easy retrieval
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, fax machines, and other office machinery.
Travel is primarily locally during the business day.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position, and hours of work and days are Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Evening and occasional weekend work may be required as job duties demand.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of the job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand; walk; use hands, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms.
Interested Applicants Should Contact:
Human Resources Manager
Equal Opportunity Employer
The Company is an equal opportunity employer. We enthusiastically accept our responsibility to make employment decisions without regard to race, religion, color, age, sex, national origin, physical or mental disability, military service, pregnancy, or any other classification protected by applicable federal, state/or local laws. Our management is dedicated to ensuring the fulfillment of this policy with respect to hiring, placement, promotion, transfer, demotion, layoff, termination, recruitment advertising, pay, and other forms of compensation, training, and general treatment during employment.
Submit Your Resume
This description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by an employee within this position. The actual duties, responsibilities, and qualifications may vary based on assignment and needs of JDA.