Development Manager, Industrial Division in Dallas, Texas
Submit Your Resume
Johnson Development Associates, Inc. (JDA) has steadily grown into one of the most well-respected real estate developers in the Southeastern United States. Initially focused on the development of local industrial and commercial property, JDA's portfolio has grown to now include luxury multifamily rental communities, large single-tenant industrial space as well as self-storage facilities. Positioned as an industry-leading developer, JDA continues to create innovative real estate solutions that catalyze the economic growth of communities, both across the nation and here at home in South Carolina.
JDA has a proven track record for delivering projects of a large magnitude, while offering the familiarity, accountability and responsiveness of a local partner. The Industrial Division of JDA includes 25 industrial parks and 13 million square feet of industrial space. Typical development is highly functional single-tenant buildings in intermodal distribution locations. Recently completed projects include buildings for clients such as Amazon, Sun Products and Vitamin Shoppe.
As a member of the Industrial Division Construction Team, a Development Manager, “The Position”, will report to and assist the Director of Development and will be responsible for all aspects and oversight of the specific project he or she is assigned. He or she will be expected to effectively lead and manage the design team, third party consultants, and general contractor through all phases of the construction process, from pre-construction activities to delivery of final certificate of occupancy. The Development Manager must initiate and manage the construction phase of the project to ensure successful and on-time delivery. Through intelligent design and cost review, consultant management, and building and managing contractor relationships, the Development Manager is expected to deliver developments under budget and ahead of schedule, while managing and eliminating Johnson Development Associate’s deal specific exposure. The Position will require the relocation to an area near the project site and the Development Manager will work from an office located at the project site. The Position may require some travel and overnight trips. Below is a list of additional responsibilities the Position will entail.
- Plan internal and external resources as required to coordinate and monitor every facet of the development process in projects that are assigned, including:
- General oversight of all daily construction activities of the project's General Contractor and their Sub-Contractors
- Manage design professionals and consultants
- Lead project permitting and closeout
- Monitor and review all aspects of project design changes through detailed plan review and verification of costs associated with change orders
- Interface and coordinate with the community and municipal entities
- Manage procurement of project permits and approvals
- Regulate on-site inspections of progress & quality
- Manage General Contractors to insure timely, on budget delivery of the project maintaining a focus on actual progress versus the project schedule
- Assist Director of Development in evaluating land and future projects as required
- Review due diligence materials and present findings to Director of Development and Management on viability of sites for development
- Prepare and distribute to the management team weekly reports for each assigned development
- Understand the various material tests throughout the construction process; develop methods to mitigate risk on a project‐specific basis
- Monitor trends in the local construction market including pricing and availability of materials and labor
- Research design and construction alternatives and value engineering opportunities that will enhance new developments without compromising functionality or life cycle costs
- Interface and develop working relationships with potential Johnson Development Associates business partners, including but not limited to various public agencies, designers, consultants, contractors, and vendors
- Understand and convey the inherent risks associated with a particular project
Essential Skills and Experience
- 1-2 years of experience working in real estate development, engineering, construction management or equivalent field
- Bachelor's Degree in Engineering, Construction Management, or equivalent
- High degree of proficiency in MS Office Suite (Word, PowerPoint, Excel). Proficiency in MS Project (although not required) is a plus.
- Detail oriented and organized
- Ability to prioritize and accomplish multiple task effectively
- Represent Johnson Development Associates, Inc. in a positive and professional manner
- Maintain a high regard of confidentiality for company information
- Be self-motivated and have the ability to multi-task and prioritize with minimal direction
- Exceptional written and verbal skills
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial work environment
- Work and manage a team well under pressure
- Proficient organizational skill set; documenting and maintaining notes from correspondence and meetings and cataloging them for easy retrieval
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, fax machines, and other office machinery.
Travel is primarily locally during the business day.
Position Type and Expected Work Hours
This is a full-time position, and hours of work and days are Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Evening and occasional weekend work may be required as job duties demand.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of the job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand; walk; use hands, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms.
This description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by an employee within this position. The actual duties, responsibilities, and qualifications may vary based on assignment and needs of JDA.
Submit Your Resume